Renovation is best carried out from Autumn into Spring, neglected lawns can be improved and brought back to life quite rapidly. Many people consider re-turfing a neglected lawn but very often this achieves nothing because the soil and aspect (shade from trees etc) remains the same, therefore the new turf is confronted by the same growing conditions and problems as the old sward.
Renovation is a far cheaper option than re-turfing and can very often give spectacular results at a fraction of the cost.
Follow-up treatments or regular maintenance/feeding are always beneficial to stop further decline.
A typical renovation will consist of:
- Scarifying to remove moss, thatch and debris (also to sever stolons).
- Aeration to allow air into the root zone, relieve compaction, root prune, allow water and nutrient penetration. Aeration tines may be solid, hollow or chisel.
- Application of fertiliser to encourage strong growth to aid rapid recovery
- Application of selective weedkiller (and moss killer if required)
- Re-turfing or re-seeding bare patches
- Rotary mowing to 'suck-up' fine debris
- Overseeding to improve sward density
Please contact me for more information.